Monday, September 16, 2024

The Taste of Two Worlds

Welcome Back! 

    Now that you know the two parts that makeup who I am, I thought I would share how my cultures were incorporated into my upbringing. What better way to start than by talking about something everyone loves, food. My parents always made sure we had a balanced diet, cooking dishes from their respective cultures each week. This not only helped diversify our palates but also created lasting traditions for our family. While Irish and Mexican food are quite different, they do share some similarities, especially when it comes to soups and stews.

    One of my favorite meals from my mom is her Irish stew. On cold winter days, I would come home from school and eagerly look forward to the hearty Irish stew waiting for me. It’s made with beef, beef broth, Irish stout beer, potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, and parsley, and she always served it with slices of warm baguette. I could eat it for days, and sometimes I’d even take it to school for lunch the next day.

    Another dish I loved just as much, especially after a long soccer practice, was my dad's red pozole. Pozole is a traditional Mexican dish that comes in red, green, or white variations, but my favorite has always been the red version. My dad makes his pozole with shredded chicken, white hominy, assorted chiles, radishes, lime, and cotija cheese. He served it with tostadas and beans—perfect for filling me up after a long day.

    Even though my mom is Irish, she can sometimes make Mexican dishes better than my dad! They’ve both taught me how to prepare the foods I grew up with and now I cook these meals myself while at college. Whether it’s stews, soups, tacos, or an Irish breakfast, making these dishes brings me a sense of comfort and connection to home. I'm so happy to share them with my friends and continue the traditions as I continue into my adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Nations, One Screen

Hey there!      This week, I'm diving into movies. My family are big movie watchers—it’s something we’ve always done together, with a bo...