Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The Irish In Me

 

    

Heyy!!

In my previous post, I shared about my Hispanic roots, and now I’m excited to dive into my Irish heritage. My mom is from a small town called Connemara, just outside of Galway City, and all of our family still lives there to this day. Growing up, I thought it was the coolest thing to be Irish. It was the side of my heritage I highlighted the most during my childhood, and my mom made sure I embraced the culture every day.

I remember my mom trying to teach me a few Gaelic words here and there, although it's definitely a tough language to learn. I used to hear her speaking Gaelic on the phone with my grandmother or her sisters, and it always fascinated me. It sounded so unique, like a secret code, yet it was also comforting to hear.

Every Saturday morning had its own routine in our house. My mom would wake up early and make breakfast, and on special occasions, she'd make a full Irish breakfast. I'd wake up to the sound of the Irish radio station playing in the kitchen, blasting Irish music or the news. It's one of my favorite memories, waking up to that lively music. Sometimes, she'd even have me call into the station to answer Irish trivia questions, which I thought was the coolest thing ever!

Another key part of my Irish upbringing was Irish dance classes. My mom enrolled me in second grade, and I stuck with it for five years. I performed in showcases and parades, and it’s still one of my favorite fun facts to share with people. While many take ballet, hip-hop, or tap, Irish dance was my thing.

I love my Irish side just as much as my Hispanic side, and I’m so grateful to have grown up with a beautiful mix of both cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Nations, One Screen

Hey there!      This week, I'm diving into movies. My family are big movie watchers—it’s something we’ve always done together, with a bo...