Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Sports of Pride

 Hi There, 

    This week, I’m diving into the world of sports! Like many countries, both Ireland and Mexico have a deep passion for their sports and teams. Sports have been a part of my life since I was little. My dad started teaching me soccer as soon as I could walk, and it quickly became my favorite sport. Though it’s been a few years since I last played competitively, I still love watching matches and kicking the ball around for fun from time to time. Soccer defines Mexico, while Gaelic football and rugby reign supreme in Ireland.

     In Ireland, Gaelic football and rugby are the two biggest and most popular sports. Gaelic football, though similar to American football, is played with a round ball and combines elements of rugby and soccer. Teams score by kicking or hand-passing the ball over the opposing team’s crossbar, and each team has 15 players. Rugby also played with 15 players per side, uses an oval ball similar to American football. However, the ball can only be passed laterally or backward, never forward. The only way to advance it forward is by kicking or carrying it. Tackling is permitted but must be below the shoulders. In rugby, teams score by reaching the opposing team’s end zone, much like a touchdown in American football. It’s no surprise that rugby holds the title of Ireland's most popular sport.                                                


 Now, onto my beloved sport—soccer. Introduced to Mexico in the late 19th century, soccer quickly became the nation’s most popular sport. Fans are incredibly passionate, often going to great lengths to support their teams, whether by attending games or following their favorite players. For many young players, professional soccer stars are role models and icons. Each soccer team fields 11 players, and the game is played using only the feet, with the aim of scoring by kicking the ball into the opposing team’s net. Soccer's universal appeal makes it special to me—it connects people across the world in a shared love for the game.

    I’ve always admired how my parents support each other's favorite sports. My mom proudly wears my dad’s favorite soccer team jersey, while my dad doesn’t hesitate to don a jersey for my mom’s favorite rugby team. They’ve passed this passion down to me and my brother, having us watch games together and even getting us jerseys to match theirs. At the end of the day, sports have an incredible way of bringing people together, whether on the field or off.

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear about how you family connects over sports, and shares support in each others favorite teams! It's a great way to connect, and I love that y'all have matching jerseys! As someone who knows nothing about sports, it was fun to read a little bit about sports and how they are played and celebrated in other countries!

    ReplyDelete

Two Nations, One Screen

Hey there!      This week, I'm diving into movies. My family are big movie watchers—it’s something we’ve always done together, with a bo...